Invest in Your Health Now
By Dr April Warhola
There is an unexpected life crisis happening right now and you are part of it. People living to be 100 years old are among the world’s fastest growing group in the world. While our overall life expectancy as a country is set to decline due to drug overdose and suicide, there is another phenomenon happening that predicts a large group of us will be living longer than ever before. This information is taking our senior citizens by surprise; our systems are not ready for the amount of people who will be living past 70 and 80 into their 90’s and 100’s. While it is important that the systems catch up, it is up to you to prepare for how you want to live your 100 years.
As a chiropractor and health advocate for over a decade, it is important to me to educate people on the aspect of their health that they can control. Our country has more money available for healthcare than any other country in the world and we are amongst the sickest people in the world. We are the only country in the world where families are at risk of losing their jobs and homes, sacrificing everything in order to pay for necessary medical treatments. The worst part to me, is that the top diseases that are costing us billions of dollars and impacting our quality of life significantly are all preventable through lifestyle choices. Diabetes, some cancers, heart disease, hypertension and obesity are all manageable with a healthy lifestyle.
Some people think being healthy costs more money. While I believe there is an investment to be made in your health initially, it certainly pays for itself over time. The cost of being insured continues to rise and insurance isn’t paying for healthy lifestyle choices. So, if you aren’t taking financial responsibility for your own health, who is?
Right now, the average person beginning around age 65 and above will be on 5-15 medications per year. And most people who are currently 65 years old, only planned to live to be 75-80 years old. What happens when you get to 75 years old and realize you are unhealthy, out of money and may have 25 more years to live? The quantity of years you live, is in large, unpredictable, but the quality of life you choose to live is very much in your power and you must start planning for the quality of years you’d like to live right now. How do you do that?
Health is about having balance in how much you move your body, what you feed your body, maintaining positive thought patterns and having emotional stability. Health is largely about keeping your nervous system, your brain and body connection, in balance. Here are a few helpful tips.
- Get out and move! Set aside 20-30 minutes a day minimally for intentional movement. Find something you enjoy doing and get moving. There’s no wrong way to do this. Do you like to dance? Have a dance party in the morning by yourself or include the entire family. Walk the dog, go for a swim or get on a bike. Move it or lose it!
- Choose organic, living foods as often as possible and keep your plate full of color. Every meal you ingest should be 70% raw or lightly steamed vegetables, fruits or other living foods and choose local, organic of the highest quality when it is available. Choose fruits and vegetables of all colors. Use good fats such as coconut oil, grapeseed oil, flaxseeds and avocado as much as you’d like. Avoid artificial everything. Avoid foods with ingredients that you can’t pronounce. Keep sugar, caffeine and alcohol to a minimum. Spend the extra money on high quality foods today so you won’t have to waste it on medications in the future.
- Start each day with a gratitude. I heard someone say, “Gratitude is the Attitude of Life.” If you woke up today, I guarantee you have at least one thing to be thankful for. Positive thinking is not only good for the mind, it permeates into your cells and keeps your entire body and being healthy and happy. And guess what? No one can take this away from you. Positive thoughts are your choice in every moment.
- Study after study has shown that humans are social creatures. We function better and live longer, happier lives with companionship. Support your emotionally stability by getting involved in your community, adopting a pet, making a friend to walk with during the week or inviting family over for a meal.
- Keep your nervous system healthy. If you are doing everything above, you probably have a pretty healthy nervous system, but an optimal nervous system is assessed and supported through regular chiropractic care. Chiropractors are experts in achieving and maintaining a healthy nervous system for your entire lifetime! We are the quality of life experts and are here to help you live your best 100 years.
- Live within your means. Having financial freedom means you get to dictate your lifestyle and invest more into your quality of life over a lifetime. Having financial freedom means that you have more choice and more possibility in the outcomes of your health. Having financial freedom means less stress, more happiness and move health.
Whether you are currently stuck in the sick-care system, or choosing true health, thank your body for being with you on this journey. It’s never too late to change. Money is energy, so why not put your energy back into you and invest in your true health for the longevity. This life is your life, so feed yourself well, move in ways that bring you joy, give gratitude daily and get adjusted by a great chiropractor. Invest in you. You are worth it.
Dr. April Warhola is a chiropractor for people and animals and the owner of Cafe of Life, an evolutionary chiropractic and vitalistic life center in Atlanta’s Grant Park neighborhood that shifts the way society views and participates in their health and healing.